Image source girlscoutsaz.org
A couple Fridays ago I trudged down the stairs of the train station after a long day of work to a light at the end of the tunnel (literally – I was in the subway): a table of cheerful scouts selling brightly-colored boxes of deliciousness. Yes – Girl Scout cookie season is upon us.
In light of this spectacular time of the year, and because I have quite the sweet tooth, I will share with you my list of the Top 5 cookies to scout (see what I did there?!) this season.
1. Samoas (Caramel deLites) – Whichever name you choose, these caramel, coconut-toasted treats are de-lightful. A little chew, a little crunch, and a lot delicious, Samoas are hands down the best Girl Scout cookie. I scarf through a box of these before an episode of New Girl is even over, and I attribute any detours in my bikini body diet plan to these little guys.
2. Tagalongs (Peanut Butter Patties) – Chocolate and peanut butter is undoubtedly one of the best combinations ever created, and these melt-in-your-mouth bites are proof. Plus, according to the official Girl Scouts website, every box sold helps a scout learn decision making. “She makes a plan, solves problems on her own, and thinks creatively—skills she needs to be successful, now and in the future.” Girl power!
3. Thin Mints – I do acknowledge that many people rank Thin Mints higher, but because I am not the biggest fan of mint-flavored food they come in at number 3. But even I have to admit, pop them in the freezer and prepare to be wowed.
4. Do-si-Dos (Peanut Butter Sandwich) – I know what you’re thinking: how can two peanut butter cookies make the top 5? Because delicious, that’s why. The creamy peanut butter filling perfectly complements the crunchy oatmeal-ish cookie. And yes, you should eat these ones like you do Oreos (middle first, of course)
5. Trefoils (Shortbread) – As dull and unexciting as some may find these shortbread wonders, how could I not include this cookie classic? Plus, the shape of the cookie is the iconic trefoil logo, so when you devour these, you remember who you are really helping: a handful of little girls in their hair-pulling, cookie-selling competition, living the American Dream.
Honorable mention: Chocolate Chip Shortbread – I can’t add these to the list, as I have not tasted them yet, but I gotta give a shout-out to these brand new, gluten-free treats for all my celiac peeps!
Alright scouts, now is the time to start bidding for my valuable business. You know where I work.
Posted by Erin D.